About the tour
This one day hike to Shira Plateau is the perfect way to experience a small part of Mount Kilimanjaro. If you don’t have the desire, the time or the confidence to summit the mountain then this one day hike will be the best option for you.
- Scenic Drive: Your journey begins with a scenic drive from Moshi or Arusha, offering stunning views of the Tanzanian countryside and the chance to glimpse daily life in the region.
- Cultural Insights: Learn about the Chagga people, the indigenous inhabitants of the Kilimanjaro region, and their traditional practices. Your guide will share insights into the local culture and history.
- Acclimatisation: This day hike also serves as a valuable acclimatisation experience for those considering a longer trek to Kilimanjaro's summit. It helps your body adjust to higher altitudes, reducing the risk of altitude sickness.
- View: Explore the Shira Plateau and catch glimpses of the famous Shira Cathedral, a cluster of towering rock formations.
Early in the morning of your Kilimanjaro day trip, we will pick you up at your hotel and drive to your destination of West Kilimanjaro which takes you through a forest reserve, where you can look out for Colobus Monkeys in the trees. Your hike through the beautifully rugged landscape of Shira Plateau starts at 3,500 m above sea level.
Get out of the car, lace up your shoes and take in the sounds, smells, and colours of Tanzania’s stunning wilderness. Along different trails and accompanied by a ZAFS guide, you can enjoy views of Kibo, Kilimanjaro’s highest peak, and its northern glaciers, when the weather permits. The vast plains of neighbouring Amboseli National Park in Kenya and the deep gorge of the Simba River contrast the views of the world’s highest free-standing mountain.
When you reach the northern rim of Shira Crater, take a quick stop at different observation points and see the volcanic cones dotting the landscape below. Hike at your own pace and enjoy a picnic lunch under the open sky along the way.
It’s a moderate hike and you don’t need to be an athlete to be able to enjoy it. However, at 3,500m the air is thinner, so pace your step, enjoy the untouched landscapes and the presence of the mighty Kilimanjaro. After a 4h hike – or earlier, if your legs get tired – we take you back to your hotel.
Includes & Excludes
This Trip Cost Includes:
- Professional, certified guide
- Park fees
- Picnic lunch
- Bottled water
- Round-trip transportation from Moshi or Arusha
Don’t take our word for it
See What Our Clients
Have To Say
Frequently asked questions
The distance one way is 8km.
It will be 3 – 4 hours up and 2 – 3 hours down (total time 5 – 7 hours).
Comfortable hiking boots or closed-toe footwear such as trainers
Weather-appropriate clothing (layers are recommended)
Sunscreen and sun hat
Camera for capturing the breathtaking scenery